The East Gate of Yas Marina Circuit has been for keepers of racing fun – like registration desks and ticketing counters for events. Now, the gate will be flanked by a lone-standing showroom of Gargash Motors with independent space for Alfa Romeo and GAC Motors. The occasion was made even more exciting by the unveiling of the new GS8 SUV, which shows promise to be in the spotlight among Chinese cars that are making waves this summer.
Abu Dhabi, 26 July 2022: Gargash Group, distributors of Mercedes, Alfa Romeo and GAC Motors, opened the new 300 square meters showroom in partnership with Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management (ADMM). Grabbing the limelight at the launch was the GAC Motors’s latest model GS8.
Shehab Gargash, MD & Group CEO of Gargash Group said: “We are proud to be one of the earliest international partners of GAC Motor. Since 2015, we have worked closely to provide a robust proposition to an ever-growing customer base in the UAE and deliver the utmost value to them. Our promising partnership has resulted in the growth in demand for GAC Cars, and the opening of the new showroom in Abu Dhabi is a natural next step in our journey as long-term partners.”
Commenting on the launch event, Zeng Hebin, General Manager of GAC MOTOR International said: “The ALL NEW GS8, positioned as the leading high-end SUV in China, is a masterpiece of GAC’s latest cutting-edge technology and R&D capabilities.”
The Impressive new GS8
The all-new GS8 leaves serious doubts at first glimpse – whether the car is a 7-seater in the affordable mid-size SUV segment or luxury SUV segment. The exterior is designed to make a statement, with its premium criss-cross grille and sporty exhausts but even more so with the plush interiors with stitched fort leather, brushed aluminium and wood finish as well as premium accents.
Some of the key features
- 8-way adjustable seats wrapped in finely crafted leather
- A wide array of driving assistance capabilities and an Adaptive Vehicle Dynamic Control (ADVC) that supports the driver to guarantee the most suitable driving mode in any road conditions
- GAC GS8 will be among the few 7-seater options in the non-premium segment to let electrically operated 3rd row seats
- With 540-degree HD holographic projection and transparent chassis mode, GS8’s wheels can intelligently avoid danger and protect the chassis from scratches
- Augmented Reality Head-Up Display (AR-HUD), projecting virtual images – graphics and text at multiple focal distancesto creatie an illusion of the cues being a natural extension of the real world
- Euro 5-compliant 2.0-liter turbocharged engine mated to an Aisin 6-speed intelligent all-wheel-drive gearbox that can produce an output of 199 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 320 Nm of torque between 1,750 rpm and 4,000rpm.
Surprise on Yas Leisure Drive
Anyway, the first appearance of the new SUV from GAC and its inspiring interiors were so compelling that I landed a brief test drive on Yas Leisure Drive, though it was quite different from ripping this 3-row SUV on the Yas Marina Circuit as planned – an ambitious idea that never crossed the gates of Yas, as I didn’t have the Green Pass from recent Covid negative testing.
However, this afforded me a better look and feel of the new GS8, with its excellent stitched leather seats, large dashboard screen and the reverse camera feed that filled it with useful and eye-pleasing reversing visual. The materials in the cabin also looked way out of the league of economic family SUVs. The music system was Alpine, the driver information panel was digital, the finish of the dash and the console looked undeniably superior with brushed aluminium and strips that I almost signed off as wood. The third row seats looked considerably smaller than the luxurious and spaciously set second row but that allows for a decent volume of space in the boot.
In the light drizzle, I cruised along the leisure drive, braking at signals that Yas Marina has no shortage of. Smooth as butter describes both the ride on those well-hung suspensions and the braking. The 2.0L turbo engine produces 320 Nm torque but how good is the SUV on a wild outing, I am waiting to find out. Look for my review soon but for now, take a look at an exclusive first glimpse on the Instagram.com/Drivemeonline page.
For more information, visit https://www.gargashgacmotor.com
5 Reasons to Consider the BMW 214d For Your Next Car
The best car battery chargers and battery maintainers
Nearly 9 Out Of Every 10 New Cars In The UK Don’t Offer A Manual Handbrake